Monday, February 13, 2012

Demand Studios Sucks' Berg Defends Political Science, Trashes Business and Advertising Degrees...


[quote]Originally posted by berg
Fucking loser, the degree will help you. 
[quote]Originally posted by CE_ClueBat
Well, he's a political science major, so he has a pussy major too.[/quote]
There is nothing pussy about a political science degree. I think it is a waste of time personally, but that crap borders on philosophy. Advertising is a pussy major. So is business, I mean, come on, you don't need a degree in business to go into business.
I'm gonna stay off, otherwise people might lose some limbs tonight.[/quote]

Political Science, or "Poly Sci." That was the degree plan that I had settled on completing, back in 1989. Don't know if they still call political science by that nickname or not today. I look back at that time period and wonder... what the hell was I thinking?

Pussy major would be a complement. It's a useless degree if one's looking to improve their chances of learning a useful skill to use in the real world. I didn't learn anything new in the Political Science classes that I took. The books chosen for the course reflected the professors' political and ideological biases.

Like clockwork, the end of the class came around and we didn't learn anything new. We walked out of the class not knowing more than before the class. This was the case with the vast majority of the courses I took at a traditional university, as a traditional student.

Advertising? Perhaps "berg" could get in touch with a marketer or a publisher with a mailing list that spans the English speaking world. If she does well doing their "inserts," or other small writing project, she'll get a shot at earning over $1,500.00 writing a mailing package. If she writes something that beats their control letter, she's looking at earning more than that for a follow on assignment.

The same thing is applicable for many publishers and marketers that have a large email database.

She'd also get the value and respect she feels she deserves. Marketers would treat her like a human being that contributes something valuable to the organization.

But, a writer can't just write Demand Studios style. A writer has to, ready for this? A writer has to psychoanalyze the target market based on the data the company has on them. If a writer could do this to the point that she knows what makes them tick, she's got a shot at beating one of her client's controls.

You have to know something about advertising; as in direct mail/direct response advertising. We're not talking about the average, run of the mill direct advertising that you get from ad agencies. Many of the things that Demand Studios considers "Writing Gospel," are actually "no goes" in this market.

The general public doesn't talk to each other sounding like pompous journalists or professors. These are the prospects and clients you'd be writing to.

Anybody could start, and run, a business. If you remain a self proprietor, working from your home, and keep things simple, you don't need a business degree. The information that you do need is readily available. One example is the local chamber of commerce. They sponsors classes, organize socials, speaking events, etc. Many even have links to organizations that help people get started the right way.

However, when you start to grow your business, and get to the point to where you start hiring employees, and operating outside your home, you're dealing with a whole new ball of wax. Many major catalog companies started as "home based" operations.

Business degrees give you the basics for working management in a corporation. I've received occasional feeds from a veterans "head hunter" organization. Some of the positions listed offered six digit salaries, or close to them... if only you had an MBA (or related business degree) and job opening specific experience.

Maybe berg could talk to these people, and "convince" them to take a Demand Media Studios writer instead. Said writer already "has" a business. Just ask his/her client, Demand Studios... you'll see!

Pussy degree? Considering that people with business and advertising degrees play a heavy role in encouraging consumer demand, I beg to differ.

2 comments:

berg said...

Hello there, Thebesig! How thoughtful of you to provide me with career advice. Lol, you are correct, they still call it Poly Sci.

You may be asking yourself, what brings me to this side of the forest on this fine evening. Well, my dear friend, I shall tell you.

You see, I don't know where you went to college, and I can't be bothered to investigate that. But, I can tell you that if you went to a good school, or three of them as I did, you would understand why Advertising and Business are considered soft degrees. That is just a fact, you can't argue with that, they are soft degrees. So, in a nutshell, that is why I call them pussy degrees. There is nothing mentally challenging about a Business or Advertising degree. An MBA, sure, that is a challenge.

You and I are not talking on the same level. Where you see a useless degree as something that will "improve their chances of learning a useful skill to use in the real world," I see a useless degree as something that doesn't challenge the mind, and provide you with questions that will challenge you the rest of your life. Sure, some people may find joy and fulfillment in advertising, but you are better off getting a degree in media or psychology. Those degrees will actually teach you something.

I realize you took Poly Sci classes back in 1989. But, again, we aren't at the same level. You see, I went to top ranked schools. I know you didn't because you still have no humility and are far too confident in your mental abilities. I'm noticing a trend in your writing and opinions. It reminds me of Oscar Wilde's quote, in response to a cynic: "A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing."

You may not be aware, but I have a doctorate. Heheh, it still makes me laugh when I say that. AneHow, I don't write for Demand anymore, and I don't need your advice on becoming an envelope licker. So, please, next time you decide to quote me, try and find something more substantial that a two-line quip to latch onto.

I'm fulfilled, I am doing what I love and teaching in a university. I'm not a writer and I never was. I used Demand to get me through a one year period where I was looking for a new university teaching position. So, don't you worry about me.

Now, if you have something more interesting to pick apart and have some actual knowledge of the subject, I am more than happy to stroll on over and see what's going down in ThebesIG land.

I'm glad I could grace you with my presence, I hope next time, you can choose something more substantial and worth picking apart.

Sincerely, the berg

Writer Cubed said...

I've posted my reply to you as a series of blog posts.