Thursday, September 29, 2011

Walmart Greeter Throws Customer Service Out the Door

I had an incident with a Walmart Greeter. This woman felt that Walmart's customer service policies didn't apply to her. This is a copy of the letter I sent to Walmart's website, complaining about her conduct. They sent it to the Walmart I went to.

That store's management was prompt, they called me to get details. My letter resulted in an internal investigation. If the woman stopped working there long before they got my complaint, things still wouldn't be lost.

It'll remind employees that they're constantly being evaluated... and not just from their employers.

Walmart
[Removed for privacy purposes]

Dear senior customer service representative

     I'd like to issue a customer service complaint regarding one of your store's Walmart greeters.

     This incident took place on December 13, 2010, at approximately 6:25 PM. It took place at the Walmart at [Removed for privacy purposes].

     I had just purchased a cot. I walked from the checkout to the exit, when an African American woman, the "greeter" stopped me. She asked to see my receipt. I showed it to her. She said that I should hold onto the receipt (It was in my pocket). I told her that I was tempted to return the cot.

     Her response?

     "Sure, hand it to me and we'll go back to customer service to get your refund!"

     She completely missed the point. I stood in line, in front of the cashier, for a long time. I came from the cashier's area. Her failure to observe what's going on resulted in her treating me like a theft suspect.

     Her conduct was in violation of your ethics code: Respect for the Individual; Service to our Customers and Striving for Excellence.

     Had she worked towards excellence, she wouldn't have stopped me, as she would've observed where I came from (speed checkout). I would've been hard to miss, I was in my military uniform. Had she demonstrated proper customer service, she wouldn't have responded the way she did.

     Had she respected me as an individual, she would've factored in the fact that a career service member, walking from the cashier's line (after standing there for a long time), wouldn't have stolen the cot. She definitely wouldn't have responded to me, with a sarcastic tone, about helping me return the cot.

     This conduct reflects discredit on Walmart, and goes counter to what you want Walmart to stand for. I'm hoping that Walmart requires this woman to go through customer service and business ethics training. Thanks.

     My email is [Removed for privacy purposes].

Best Regards,


[Removed for privacy purposes]

No comments: